For Sale: Baby's shoes, never worn.

Before you start reading this, just ponder over the title a little longer. Poor lady who's baby died...before birth? or after? Who would even sell baby's shoes? Was it that tragic? Just those 6 words convey a story that can be elaborated upon. Fact remains, that it still is a story. The first 6 word story ever written. This was written by Ernest Hemingway while at a pub in a small contest amongst friends of what are the least number of words in which you can write a story. Of course Hemingway's was the best in the lot.

My introduction to 6 word stories? An assignment in college. Day two of school and I registered for this completely random professor as I have to get done with this class before next year. And oh gosh what a professor!! My first words upon entering the classroom? "Holy Smokes!!!! He is my teacher??" Truly, he could give Brad Pitt competition ANY day!! Well, Tom Cruise not quite as he has the cutest daughter in the world and that gives him brownie points! ;) But my Humanities prof...my advisor asked me if I was finally gonna take the class till the end and my answer: "Hell yeah!!!" My advisor is pretty awesome too but hey this guy is young!! He is "dateable"! =D I'm sure the guys are getting bored by now but seriously...I wish I wasn't born an Indian, that way I could've had a go at him! ;)
There are two ways for someone to take your breath away. One, they do things. Two, they don't do nothing at all..they are born that way! My teacher (why oh why is he a teacher?!) falls in the latter!

Apart from him, I'm doing java 2, circuits 2, biomaterials and i/o psychology. Pretty balanced, if I may say.

There are times when you get the feeling that things are moving too fast for you. This is one such time. It has been 2 years since I decided that I can even think of coming here. Now that I'm here, it doesn't feel any different from any other college away from home. Whether you are 3 miles away or 30,000 - you are away and that is what matters. I've often been told rather asked: "Now you must've settled right?" By 'settled' if you mean, I must've overcome my teething problems, then yes I have 'settled'. Ask me if I still miss home - I do. Ask me if I still long for the rains to lash so hard that they pound on your windows and make noises - I do. Ask me if I still crave to go the local chaatwalla in my pjs ask him for a bhel - I do. Ask me if I wish to eat ice-creams/golas without being afraid of falling sick - I do. Ask me if I wish I could call up friends and decide to meet them this weekend - I do. Ask me if I wish I could accompany my parents at the marathon as always - I do.
Yes, the lifestyle here is much better. I know I missed Chicago while in India but hey I loved the time I was there. I would gladly move if given a chance but after graduation probably. College in India is kind of sad. Hehee sorry guys, but seriously. I study hard and party hard (if not harder!) It isn't party always and study right before the exam. It's this continuous process that taught me time management if not anything else! But Mumbai is and will always remain my first love. Chicago comes only as far as second.

Oh for Chicago! Such a lovely place you will never find! There is something for everyone. Romantic, adventurous, nerdy, crazy, subdued, hardworking, right-brained - every person finds something to their taste here! Love the summer or the winter, Chicago is the place to be! The best part is, it teaches a lot. It teaches that work is not and should not be the most important thing in your life. There are better things to do like the opera, theater, ice skating, skiing, shopping, trying out different cuisines, museum hopping, art, brewing your own perfume, photography, sailing, kayaking, walking!

If ever I move from here, I wouldn't miss only Mumbai.

Tick tock tick tock...boom! Help!
That's my submission. :)

3 comments:

Rohit Saha said...

I tried to comment on this some days ago but for some reason, couldnt !

Really loved the bit about missing home. Made my eyes go a bit moist. :-)

Aishwarya said...

The title. <3

And the part about missing home, even more <3.

We miss you too. >:D< :-)

chefspeaks said...

:))